Michigan Sea Grant offers one- or two- year fellowships for graduate students enrolled full-time at Michigan universities who are interested in research relevant to current Great Lakes issues. This fellowship provides support for a student’s research and enhances academic and professional development opportunities.
The inaugural cohort of fellows was welcomed in 2016, with research conducted from 2016 to 2018. The 2018-2020 cohort was selected via the Michigan Sea Grant 2017 Request for Research Proposals (PDF). The next application cycle will be announced when funding becomes available.
Research fellows work with an agency sponsor and faculty member at an accredited institution in Michigan to conduct a research project that supports existing Great Lakes research at federal, tribal and state agencies. Applicants submit a short proposal and budget for their research as part of the selection process and are expected to have letters of support from agency and faculty sponsors.
About the Fellowship
- Supports exceptional graduate students (M.S. or Ph.D.) engaged in research relevant to the Great Lakes, ongoing agency research efforts, and to the Michigan Sea Grant Strategic Plan.
- Fellows will work with an agency mentor to ensure results are useful and contribute to ongoing Great Lakes research.
- Fellows will be provided with professional development opportunities that include conducting a research project, data collection and analysis, and preparation of project reports and presentation materials.
- Students must be enrolled in or admitted to a full-time graduate or professional degree program at a Michigan academic institution.
- Students may be working toward a degree in any discipline related to Great Lakes coastal or ecosystem issues.
How to Apply
Note: Michigan Sea Grant is not currently accepting applications for this fellowship. Archived application materials will remain online for reference.
- Michigan Sea Grant 2017 Request for Research Proposals: Fellowship Excerpt (PDF)
- Submit Graduate Student Research Fellowship Proposal
All questions related to the Michigan Sea Grant Graduate Student Research Fellowship should be submitted to the Michigan Sea Grant Research Program by emailing MSG-RFPinfo@umich.edu.
For information on additional fellowship opportunities, see: Michigan Sea Grant Fellowship Opportunities.