A variety of resources are available to support the Michigan Clean Marina Program.
About the Program
Considering Clean Marina certification? A review of the benefits of certification and an overview of the online training classroom might help you decide. A strategic plan is also available (PDFs).
- Benefits of Becoming a Clean Marina
- Clean Marina Classroom Overview
- Clean Marina Program Strategic Plan 2014-2016
Certified operators are also awarded access to electronic materials including the Clean Marina logo, advertisement templates and more. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to gain access to these materials. For more information on benefits, see: Why Certify?
The certification guide provides an overview of the process, including instruction on how to utilize the required checklists (PDFs).
- Michigan Clean Marina Certification Guide
- Certification Checklist (and self-assessment form)
- Recertification Checklist
The Michigan Clean Marina Program provides participants with a a template binder to store certification materials. Tabs in the binder are numerically matched to sections of the Certification Checklist.
For an example of a completed binder, please see:
For an example of Clean Marina approved contract language, please see the Resources provided in the Clean Marina Classroom.
Discounts for Certified Clean Marinas
Clean Boating Educational Resources
Part of being a certified Clean Marina is sharing clean boating information with boaters. The following educational “rack cards” were developed to share information with boaters in a brief, colorful format (PDFs).
- Why Visit a Clean Marina?
- Be A Good Boating Steward
- Boat Cleaning Best Practices
- Waste Containment and Disposal
- Boater Pollution Prevention Kit
- Watercraft Checkpoints Poster
Clean Marina Tip Sheets
These tip sheets can help relay Clean Marina and resilience best practices to your staff and boaters (PDFs).
- Boat Cleaning and Maintenance
- Watercraft Check Points
- Petroleum Control
- Vessel Sewage and Marine Sanitation Devices
- Waste Containment and Disposal
- Infrastructure Best Practices
- Dredging Best Practices
- Planning and Financing Best Practices
Clean Marina Videos
YouTube videos are available for brief overview of the program and a subset of best management practices. These videos could be shared by certified operators to relay program information.
- Great Lakes Clean Marina Program Overview: The Benefits of Clean Marinas and Clean Boating
- Keeping it Clean: Best Practices for Certified Clean Marinas
- Marinas and Boat Bottom Washing Best Practices
Recycling is a recommended best management practice.
Climate and Weather
Increasing intensity and frequency of storms, variable lake levels and related dredging needs are perennial issues for many marinas.
- Increasing Resilience at Marinas and Harbors
- Reinforcing our Waterfronts: Increased Resilience at Marinas and Harbors (PDF)
The Great Lakes Clean Marina Network is a collaborative forum for Clean Marina programs in our region. Please visit the website to find recorded educational presentations and additional program resource material. See: Great Lakes Clean Marina Network
For a brief overview of the Network’s purpose, see: Great Lakes Clean Marina Network (PDF)