How to Fight Invaders
You are critical in controlling the spread of invasive species. Follow a few simple steps every time you hike, boat or fish:
- Learn to identify native and invasive plants and fish.
- Never release plants, fish or animals into a body of water unless they came out of that body of water.
- Remove any visible mud, plants, fish or animals from anything that came in contact with water like boats, trailers, equipment – even your clothing or dog can transport invasives.
- Eliminate water from equipment before moving to another location.
- Eliminate the use of any wildflower and seed mixtures that have purple loosestrife and other invasive plant seeds. Wildflower mixes should have seed ingredient lists on the packaging.
How You Can Help
If you find what you suspect may be an invasive species, you can complete an online form or contact a Michigan Sea Grant Extension Educator via phone or email.
Contact: Rochelle Sturtevant
Phone: (734) 741-2287
Please be ready to provide the following information:
- Sample (or photo capturing key features) to confirm ID
- Date collected/observed
- Location collected/observed (GPS coordinates preferred)
- Your contact information