Resources for Certified Clean Marinas
Benefits of Michigan Clean Marina Certification
This summary includes tangible, business-savvy reasons to participate in the Michigan Clean Marina Program, including technical assistance, financial incentives, promotional products and materials, and improving the overall image of your marina within your community.
- Trained marina specialists and members of the Michigan Clean Marina committee are available to support and guide you through training and completing certification requirements.
- Marina specialists conduct all site visits, using a standard checklist to help ensure your facility is in compliance with environmental regulations and addresses best management practices.
- Reduce waste disposal costs. The best management practices will reduce the amount of waste produced, reducing disposal fees.
- Generate new sources of revenue. Studies have shown that Clean Marinas can charge slightly higher slip fees and have fewer vacancies.
- Reduce legal liabilities. By participating in the Clean Marina Program, marinas can ensure they are meeting regulatory requirements, thus reducing or eliminating the incidence of any fines.
- Access to discounts. Certified Clean Marinas that are members of MBIA can also save an additional 10 percent on liability insurance, in addition to many other benefits.
Promotional Products and Offerings
- Get free publicity. Recognition in press releases, newsletters and boating guides. Each certified facility is highlighted in the Michigan Boating Industries Association’s publications, including the Michigan Boating Annual Directory. Also, the Michigan Clean Marina Program website, includes links to certified marina websites, a map and GPS coordinates to locate each facility.
- Upon certification, receive a frame-worthy certificate and the Michigan Clean Marina logo for your letterhead, website and advertising efforts.
- Fly the flag. Michigan Clean Marina flag (available from MBIA) for display at your facility.
- Outreach tools include fact sheets, templates, posters and more, including tips on how to talk to media, a press release template, “10 Reasons to be Proud You Boat at a Certified Clean Marina” poster an advertisement template and educational materials about boat maintenance, petroleum control, vessel sewage, and waste containment and disposal.
Positive Image in the Community
- Improve water quality and habitat for fish and wildlife. The marina and boating industry depends on clean waters and a healthy coastal environment for their continued success.
- Attract knowledgeable customers. Clean Marinas are aesthetically pleasing facilities that can attract responsible clientele that will follow good boating practices.
To access these materials, you must be a certified Clean Marina operator or representative. If you have earned certification, please contact email@example.com for access to these resources.